Featured

Sunday 24 March 2013

A chat with the designer behind Salma El Farsy Designs


I have sat with talented young designer Salma El Farsy, from Salma El Farsy designs. I have been exposed to Salma's work in 2011 and I   have always felt the connection with her work. Salma designs jewelry Her identity is expressed in her work and it's always a delight to set and talk to Salma, she has a big heart and a personality just as beautiful as her designs. here is what happened when Style & Stuff met up with the talented young designer ...
How did the designing story start with you?
At the beginning I was designing some accessories, when I was in high school I used to buy hand crafts and try it out. I started to change in the designs of some of these hand crafts and I started reading about the techniques.
Then I started studying art in general, which added to my talent because I started designing with guidelines.Studying art in general was good as I got the whole perspective, designing, photography, metals, wood, leather, even sculpturing

What happened when you finally graduated?
I started with wood engraving; then I was nominated to an Italian scholarship in AUC by a college professor who was impressed with the jewelry that I design for myself.  After that I started working on designing gold jewelry for Egyptian plants then I started teaching jewelry designing. I took it a notch higher with my diploma in diamond ranking and design from Belgium.

Tell us more about your teaching experience.
I have been teaching for as long as I can remember. I have taught workers in factories, and in design schools. I still give private lessons for workshop owners. I am currently teaching a course in a place named art square academy in Heliopolis, the course is mainly wire creations and accessories making.

So when did Salma El Farsy designs start?
After I felt that I have all the essentials of the industry, I know all the materials and technologies. In 2011 I started my own brand which is Salma El Farsy designs. All my designs are one piece each and I never put readymade pieces into my work, it’s all hand made in my workshop.

What are the materials that you’re using in your designs?
I am only working with copper and silver in my workshop, I also include precious stones, leather and fabrics . As for the gold and diamond designs, I do them for bigger workshops and plants, because the gold and diamond are very special materials and very expensive as well.

Where can we shop for Salma El Farsy designs?
I usually sell in my own exhibition, which I do every time I make a new collection. I have collaborated with Italian fashion designers before, I basically would make the jewelry for the collection and it’s sold with it. As for my Facebook group it’s more of a place to showcase my works not selling it.
Most of my clients aren’t Egyptian, I find foreign clientele much more appreciative of the kind of material used; most of them like exploring new ideas like mixing leather and fabrics with metals also mixing modern with oriental vintage designs.

How is it being a jewelry designer in Egypt?
Egypt is very rich with inspiration and raw materials, that’s heaven for a designer. Even if the materials are expensive at least it’s available unlike what I faced in Italy. The places that include Egyptian designers are in a constant increase which is great, however we are in the stone age of technology when it comes to designing, which results in a great amount of time and effort in the execution.
I have noticed also that most of the people in the industry are basing their work on connections and some people also copy from designers and retailer abroad. The majority taste in Egypt is far from sophisticated which makes us a niche market. Everybody wants to follow the trends, being up to date is very important , however copy pasting isn't art.

Describe yourself in 3 words.
Crazy … Free … Oriental

Describe your designs in 3 words.
Bold … Colorful … Expressive

How would you describe yourself as a designer?
My designs are not safe at all, whenever I see everybody is going one way, I choose the opposite way. Maybe that’s considered too adventurous; however I feel that people can look at my collection and say that’s something I lack in my closet or I don’t have anything like it. Sometimes I don’t sell to some people who request certain pieces, as I feel they didn't really love it.

What inspires your designs?
Decorations, the lines and modernity is my essential inspiration. Egyptian Heritage, the colors and the boldness is very interesting, even if it’s primitive. Clothing, really inspires me in a sense of what can be dressed with what.

What is next for you in the design world?
I am thinking of making a workshop that includes jewelry, accessories, shoes and clothing in collaboration with different designers. I am also currently working on a collection where I am including paper with metals.

What’s in your daily bag?
I seriously have a Pliers (Zaradya), other than that, the regular stuff … a pencil and a note, a nail file, dental floss, lipstick, perfume, eye pencil, a backup pair of earrings, a backup pair of socks, a small plastic elephant, a small Quran in a beaded handmade Indian pouch, my phone and it’s charge, hair rolls, hair bands, Diet sugar, Wipes, painting brush, ear plugs and an apple.

I am in love with the fact that Salma, is unique and bold; treating her designs as identity expression material not just another thing to purchase. I also like the fact that she never copies from anybody, you seriously are owning a unique once in a life time piece if you are owning a Salma El Farsy designs piece.

Check out Salma's Facebook page, for inspiration and to keep up to date with her work and courses. 

3 comments:

ايوة بأه والبلوج ضيقة :D

سمسم اشوفك في احسن المناصب ودايماً ربنا موفقك يارب

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More