Featured

Friday 13 December 2013

My Vintage Collection

I woke up excited today because of this blog post, this is going to be one of my favorite blog posts ever.Young, fabulous and on a budget blog post, I have mentioned that we can shop from our mothers' and grandmas' closets. I come from a family of stylish ladies, who had something for fashion. Of course I couldn't get my hands on all of their collections -that would have been heavenly-, because we have a tradition in our family of giving to the less fortunate. These are their favorite pieces that managed to stay till I laid my hand of them. Every piece is unrepeatable and often has a story behind it. Today I am giving you some style inspiration in general and encouraging you to dig up your own treasures as well ...
In my

Houndstooth Dress
Straight from the early 90's this dress belonged to my mom's best friend -practically my aunt-. You guys know that the houndstooth pattern is really in this season, I actually have a skirt from H&M in the same pattern. The golden buttons says it all about this dress. It's very form fitting and it's very flattering. 

Velvet LBD
This one belonged to my mom in the late 90's, I actually remember when my mom had it custom made for a wedding we had to attend when I was 6 or 7 years old. I thought mommy looked stunning and I wanted to look like her. The crazy thing is I found a seriously Similar Dress (minus the diamonds) on ASOS for £56. I am removing the diamonds as well.

Sun Dress
Also from the late 90's, my mom had a thing for long sun dresses. The 

Over Sized Patterned Blazer
I have tried to find out the name of this gorgeous pattern and I failed, all I know that it’s fabulous. This belong to my mom’s best friend who welcomes me to dig up her closet as well. Early 90’s is all over this thing –I even removed the shoulder enhancers-. Never have I worn this blazer and not got tons of “Where did you get it?”s

Single breasted jacket 
This was my great aunt’s in the 70’s I guess from the style. This is not a blazer, it’s just casual button up jacket in a great purple colors. It’s very comfy and warming, and I always feel that it adds modesty and class thrown over anything basically.

Shimmery Lace
I actually saw a picture of my grand ma wearing this back in the late 70’s. She had a gorgeous sleeveless dress and she needed to cover up, so she got this custom made.  Being the fabulous diva she was, she actually thought it looked a little dull, so she made this flower shaped beading herself on the right breast area. 

Short Coat
This was also my great aunt’s, I am not sure which decade. Very warm short coat in this cute purple color. The only thing that caught my eyes in this, is the collar. I think the collar looks like a flower and I have never seen that anywhere in the current collections.

Christmas sweater 
Christmas inspired prints on this oversized sweater is the reason I keep going back for it. In the late 80’s, my mom bought this from a shop in Heliopolis that was owned by Moushir Abdelhakeem daughter. It costed her 100 EGP which was quite the number back then like 1500 EGP right now. She told me she would wear it on tight jeans and boots, just fabulousness.


Mohair sweater 
Mohair is really in right now and I have got it covered. Also in the 80’s my mom got this custom made for her and she paid 150 EGP, again it’s very big number and my mom didn't put a price on her style. The over-sized theme is obviously 80’s, I have to say you won’t find these easily right now.

Velvet shirt
Late 90’s it was all about these “Chemises” and of course my mom was in the lead. This one is kind of over-sized and needs an urgent visit to the laundry. Simple, causal and elegant in the same time, this strip pattern shirt has two over-sized pockets which for some reason is making me fond of it.

 Spanish inspiration

Long before the “Spanish” hijab trend, this word meant flowy sleeves and deep V necks. This form fitting brown sweater belonged to my mom in the late 90’s, I think I was with her when she bought it. I remember I used to wait till my mom went out and I would wear this as a dress just to move my hands and see the fabric on the sleeves flowing.

Flowers and pearls embellishments 
The reason I am not sure of the decades when it comes to my grand aunt’s stuff, is that I actually got them from my mom. I wear this on regular basis, and that’s why it needs to be ironed because it was just washed. From the style I would say late 90’s, the embellishment is just beautiful. It’s very form fitting and feminine.


Knitted Scarf 
If you are following me on instagram, you probably have seen this baby before. This incredibly long knitted scarf was my mom’s in the late 90’s, the neutral color made is super easy to style with anything. The crazy thing is that my mom actually thought it was too long and wasn't interested in it anymore, that’s where I came in. Needless to say, she became interested in it after seeing me styling it.

Silk printed scarf 
The memory I have with this scarf is “Warda’s song 7aramt A7ebak”, early 90’s classic with all the chunky gold print all over. Bold red and bold blue with a hint of silver, that’s how early 90’s rich and classic looked like. My mom used to wear it over her hair when we were in KSA, sort of a stylish take on the country rules. 

Plaids clutch
Faten Hamama had the exact same one in “Embratoryet meem” movie. My mom bought this in the early 80’s for “Shawarby” street for 50 EGP. The flap has a beautiful leather stitching and the lock still works. Just holding this clutch reminds me that the shops in down town used to have the best trends and high prices for classy college girls to shop there. 

Red necklace 
Obviously my mom loved red accents, however she never wore a plain red top or jacket; she tells me she was too shy. Late 90’s gorgeous red beads, the quality on this one is fascinating actually, because the strand has this metallic material to it holding these heavy pieces for that long. The lock itself is kind you roll to tie and untie. 

Burqou
Great grand ma probably in the 1910’s wore this long one, this might look a little funny but it’s the only thing I have left for my great nana. Excuse my puffy eyes, I was too thrilled to wait until I did my makeup for this shoot; I just wanted to showcase how this is worn. I am thinking it would come in handy in Halloween. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More