Featured

Wednesday 2 October 2013

An Introduction to Pilates

If you are anything like me, I have heard the word Pilates on TV like few times and I was wondering what in the world is that? I went and asked about classes in Egypt, I found non near Maadi and the ones in Zamalek ranged between 80 - 100 EGP per class.  So I decided that I can't get my salary to say good bye to 1200 EGP per month for a workout class that is too far away and can be done from home. Before my back injury I discovered some Free YouTube videos on Pilates, I started reading about it and I was following the videos. My back injury stopped me from doing Pilates for the last 5 months, however now I am better so I started doing it. If you are wondering what is Pilates and all ... this post is for you.

According to Self Magazine, just 1 hour of Pilates exercise to the average person burns 241 calories (Beginners classes), 338 calories (Intermediate classes) and 421 calories (Advanced classes). So these stuff works, mainly Pilates is supposed to improve muscle tone, support correct posture, enhance your flexibility and strength the muscle. You can do it easily at home because generally it doesn't require extra tools, you might need a couple of dump bells, a yoga matte and a large exercise ball .
It All started in Germany, when Physical Culturist Joseph Pilates created the concept earlier last century. After he passed away in the 60's, his wife Clara continued running the studio under the name "The Pilates Studio". In the 1980's two of his grand students -students of students- created a book for modern day Pilates, residing the six principles of Pilates. They are Concentration, Control, Center, Flow, Precision and Breathing.
After I have experienced Pilates, I can tell you. It was easy to do and I did feel that I have targeted muscles that I haven't targeted before in previous workouts. I started with the Arms, Thighs, Back and Abs workout, the next 2 -3 days are always a sore torture. When I came back lately to Pilates, I have done Arms and Thighs again. I have had read that it can work on your back muscles to cure the chronic back, since I have an actual desk bulge -that no more hurts unless I do a serious weight lift- I am not sure how will my body react to the back workout. After a workout that ranges between 30 - 60 minutes, you won't find yourself out of breathe you will just be sweaty as crazy. This picture I have got over the internet, from a person who have done regular Pilates for 6 weeks. I am glad that the transformation is realistic for 6 week her arms are a little bit tones, her tummy is starting to be a little bit flat, her butt has got a little structure going on along with her thighs.
I have to say that Pilates so far doesn't have a downside, however it can be abused thus giving wrong results. While it's good for strengthening your muscles, it's not cardio. If you are seeking weight loss, you need to Cardio along with your Pilates routine to get the full work out result. If you want actual muscle structure then you need to go lifting weights, don't blame Pilates because it only tones your muscles. The magical myth that says you can eat whatever you want if you workout, it's wrong so again if you aim at weight loss you need to shape up your diet. Doing too much Pilates can enhance your muscles to the extent that you develop bigger internal muscles, giving you a wider waist line. I would say 3 times a week would be great, that's what I have started anyways along with my Jogging (Cardio).
I followed Cassy Ho, the blogger and Pilates instructor. That woman is amazing, she has been named the 2nd most influential online fitness guru -guess who was the 1st, the famous Jillian Micheals- . Cassy is a Certified trainer and has a degree in biology, her blog blogilates is a destination for health and happiness. I always follow her POP Pilates videos on her You Tube channel. The woman is so talkative and funny, the crazy thing is whenever she says that you shouldn't do the move like this I find myself doing it; as if she actually sees me. She is so easy to follow and she even doesn't have like anything to stop her, Cassy actually says if you don't have dump bells get a couple of water bottles. I will blog more about Pilates since my back inquiry is getting better and I am able to workout. FINALLY

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More